Forensic video analysis is the scientific examination, comparison and/or evaluation of video in legal matters.
Listed below are common techniques that are required of forensic video analysts.
- Reliably digitize video tape footage onto a computer system. (This is commonly done via Non-Linear Editor (NLE) software.)
- Be able to demultiplex or separate camera views from multiplexed CCTV footage.
- Convert digital video from DVR (Digital Video Recorder) devices into digital video formats usable for forensic analysis.
- Perform clarification techniques such as frame averaging.
- Highlight someone or something of interest in the video.
- Enlarge portions of the video for areas of interest.